The process of going through a divorce is often difficult and emotionally exhausting for an individual. Not only does it change important matters in their life, but it involves a variety of legal issues to be taken care of in order for the process to be completed. It is because of this that it is crucial to retain the services of a skilled and compassionate New York divorce attorney to guide you through the proceedings.
What Does a Divorce Attorney Do?
In order to reach the desired outcome of a divorce, a divorce attorney plays an important role. This is because they assist the case by performing numerous tasks on behalf of the client. This can include:
- Assess the case to determine court jurisdiction
- Develop a strategy for advising you about all aspects of the divorce
- Prepare legal documents to file with the court
- Conduct discovery to obtain information from the other party
- Appear at all court appearances, depositions, and conferences
- Schedule deadlines and court appearances
- Inform you of actions to take
- Perform financial analyses of your case
- Conduct legal research
- Prepare you for any appearances and depositions
- Prepare your case for hearings and trials
- Advise you of your rights under the law
- Counsel about the risks and benefits that arise during your case
Who Else May Assist My Case?
There are many different parts of a divorce that may require the assistance of experts from additional fields. This can include a psychologist or psychiatrist if an evaluation is necessary to determine the best interest of a child for custody and parenting arrangements. In addition to this, a forensic accountant may be needed to perform an analysis of the couple’s financial situation.
Do I Need an Attorney if I’ve Been Divorced Before?
When a person goes through a divorce, they may feel as if they have learned the process well enough to do it on their own should they go through a divorce again. However, it is important to remember that every divorce case is different. The proceedings can vary depending on the length of the marriage, if the couple has children, both spouses’ financial situation, their ages, health, and more. In addition to this, it is possible for the law to change since a previous divorce. It is because of this that it is best to just hire an attorney in order to handle these important matters for you.
Contact our Firm
Zimmet Law Group, P.C. is an experienced team of attorneys guiding clients through matters of estate planning and administration, divorce and family law, real estate, commercial litigation, business law, bankruptcy, and landlord-tenant law. If you require the services of an effective New York City attorney, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.