handing over money

When a couple goes through a divorce, it can impact the entire family. The process separates a life that was brought together and built over time. This can be a trying and difficult time, as a married couple’s lives are tied together in many ways. It is because of this that divorces are not always clean breaks. Sometimes, one spouse may be required to make support payments after the divorce is final. The two types of payments that can be made are child support and spousal support. 

Spousal Support

When two spouses combine their lives, they often intertwine their finances in doing so. In the event of a divorce, this can be difficult to separate. There are some family circumstances in which one spouse has an income while the other does not. This can leave a dependent spouse in an unfair financial standing after a divorce when they do not have an income to support themselves.

In these situations, the independent spouse may owe court-ordered financial support to the other spouse. This is known as spousal support or alimony. With this assistance, the dependent spouse can live a stable life on their own as they work towards gaining their own independence. When this is accomplished, the spousal support payments may be terminated.

Child Support

When two parents divorce, they are required to determine arrangements for the future of their children. This can include child custody and child support. While one parent may have physical custody of a child, the non-custodial parent is still required to financially support their child. This is because the cost of living of a child is often too expensive for one parent to take care of on their own. With these payments, the child is able to maintain a similar lifestyle to what they were accustomed to before the divorce. 

In the state of New York, parents are required to pay child support until the child reaches a certain age. As every family is different, this age can vary depending on the circumstances surrounding the case. Generally, the age of emancipation in New York is 21 years old. However, there are situations in which the court may choose to extend the payments or terminate them early. If a child decides to seek higher education, the payments may be extended until their education is finished and they can begin to support themselves. If a parent believes their child can support themselves before they reach the age of emancipation, they can petition the court to declare their child as such. If the court agrees, child support payments can end.

Contact our Firm

Zimmet Law Group, P.C. is an experienced team of attorneys guiding clients through matters of estate planning and administration, divorce and family law, real estate, commercial litigation, business law, bankruptcy, and landlord-tenant law. If you require the services of an effective New York City attorney, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.