gavel law book

When you and your spouse get divorced, there are a number of matters to address. Once you settle these matters and finalize your divorce, it can be difficult to make changes to the arrangements you have created. But, life happens, and sometimes, modifications are necessary. Read on to learn more about post-judgment modifications in New York.

What Issues can be Modified?

In New York, you may be able to modify the following arrangements:

  • Child support
  • Child custody
  • Spousal support

What Circumstances Might Call for a Modification?

As previously stated, it can be difficult to modify your arrangements. For example, your child custody arrangement has been carefully created with your child’s best interests in mind. Additionally, a change in the schedule or arrangement can be difficult for your child. As a result, a court may be reluctant to make any changes. That being said, the following circumstances may warrant a modification:

  • A child reaches the age of emancipation does not need child support anymore
  • A child decides to pursue higher education and child support needs to be extended
  • Either party is living with another person and no longer needs support from their former-spouse
  • If the child’s schedule changes, a former spouse may wish to modify custody terms, parenting time, and visitation schedule
  • If either party receives a promotion, demotion, loses their job, becomes disabled, etc., the spousal or child support payment amount may need to change
  • If either party exposes their child to domestic violence, substance abuse, a serious mental illness, etc., custody agreements may need to change

How can Modifications be Enforced? 

If your ex-spouse is not cooperating with court-ordered arrangements, you may need to request an enforcement. In New York, a judge can legally enforce the order if you file a complaint with the court. If your ex continues to violate the order, they can be held in contempt of court and face certain consequences until they follow the order. This can include:

  • Wage garnishment
  • Property liens
  • Suspension of drivers’ licenses
  • Temporary receivership
  • Imprisonment

If you have any questions or concerns regarding the matters of your divorce, contact our firm to speak with an experienced attorney. We are here to advocate for you and your family.

Contact Our Experienced Firm Today

Zimmet Law Group, P.C. is an experienced team of attorneys guiding clients through matters of estate planning and administration, divorce and family law, real estate, commercial litigation, business law, bankruptcy, and landlord-tenant law. If you require the services of an effective New York City attorney, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.