Agents are using pens pointing to contracts and are being explained to customers at the office.

New York City Modification & Enforcement Attorney

When a marriage is over and the divorce complete, a court will pass down judgment on marital issues. These orders are mandatory. If an individual was to ignore a judgment, it could open them up to further legal problems. Courts rule on matters with the facts they are provided. They try to make decisions in a fair and just manner to both parties. It is impossible for them to predict the future. That said, if you are not able to oblige by an order, you may need to request a modification. It is important that you follow the order unless you can convince the court to change it. If you need to request a modification, contact our firm. If you are being affected by an ex-spouse who is ignoring the court’s direction, you have the right to request that the court intervenes on your behalf and enforce the order. For all post-judgment legal matters, contact Zimmet Law Group, P.C. for a consultation.

New York post-judgment modifications

Judges are open to hearing requests for modifications. New York understands that it can be nearly impossible for an individual to follow an order when circumstances significantly change. That said, the legal standard for a court to award a modification is quite high. The individual will have to demonstrate an ongoing, substantial, and unforeseen change in circumstance for a court to allow the change.  For spousal maintenance, some examples that could convince a court to change the terms of the structure include illness, loss of employment, a change in dependency, and much more. Child support may be modified for a number of factors as well, including a change of income, loss of job, a change of custody arrangement, and more. Child custody can also be modified, including a sudden change in a work schedule, significant health issues, the exposure of a dangerous third party, and more. When convincing the court to grant a modification, it is important to have quality legal support.

New York post-judgment enforcement

If you are being affected by your ex-spouse’s wanton disregard for your divorce decree, it may be time to take legal action. They not only need to hold up their end, they should be held accountable for their actions. If your spouse is not following the court’s order, contact an attorney immediately. Zimmet Law Group, P.C. can help you file for an enforcement order. How the court handles this matter varies. When it comes to financial issues, a court can take a range of actions to ensure the order be followed, including wage garnishing. If an individual violates a child custody arrangement, it has the discretion to change the parenting structure or impose sanctions on the parent. For all matters, the court may find the person in contempt of court because of these violations.

Contact a New York post-judgment modification & enforcement attorney

If you need to request a modification or enforcement order, it is important to retain the services of an effective and experienced legal team. We recognize the undue burden brought on by unforeseen changes in life needing post-judgment modifications. When our clients are being affected by an ex-spouse’s disregard for the court’s word, we don’t sit idly by and let it happen. If you need our help, contact Zimmet Law Group, P.C.

Website Designed & Managed by