gavel with scale

When the court makes a decision regarding a family law matter, the judge’s decision is legally binding. Of course, the judge making the decision is not able to predict the future and therefore, must rule based on the current circumstances of the situation. The individuals involved in the family law matter are legally obligated to follow the ruling of the court, even if their circumstances change. If you are impacted by changing circumstances, it is essential that you continue following the court’s decision, because if you fail to do so, you can face significant penalties. If you would like to request that the judge modifies your court order, you should consult with an experienced family law attorney that can effectively guide you through each step of this complex process.

Post-Judgment Modifications

As previously mentioned, when a judge makes a decision regarding a divorce or family law matter, they are only able to make their decision based on the circumstances surrounding the current situation. If your current court order is no longer realistic given your new circumstances, you may request that the court makes a modification to the court order.

Some of the many situations that may warrant a court order include the following:

  • Child support modifications for a loss of job, change in income, or change in custody
  • Child custody modifications for a sudden change in work, significant health issues, among other reasons
  • Spousal maintenance for a change in dependency, change in income, among other situations

Violating a Court Order Before a Modification is Approved

In accordance with New York State law, it is important that you continue to follow your court order unless a modification has been approved by a judge. If you fail to do so, some of the penalties that you may face include the following:

  • wage garnishment
  • being held in contempt of court
  • passport denial

If you believe that your former spouse is violating a court order before of a change in his or her circumstances, you may request an enforcement order through the court.

If you have questions regarding post-judgment action, it is important to speak with an attorney. Contact our firm today to discuss your situation.

Zimmet Law Group, P.C. is an experienced team of attorneys guiding clients through matters of estate planning and administration, divorce and family law, real estate, commercial litigation, business law, bankruptcy, and landlord-tenant law. If you require the services of an effective New York City attorney, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.