Estate planning can feel overwhelming. It is difficult to think about the future, let alone make detailed plans for it. Working with the right attorney can make the process much easier. A skilled attorney can help alleviate your estate planning anxiety by answering any questions you may have and walking you through the process every step of the way. Knowing what to expect can also make the process go more smoothly. One of the first steps of the estate planning process is an initial consultation with your estate planning attorney. This is a meeting designed to help your attorney better understand your situation. Read on to learn more about what to expect from an initial consultation with an estate planning attorney.
What are your Estate Planning Goals?
Every estate plan will be different. Depending on your unique situation, you may want to create certain documents. For example, if you have a pet, you may want to create a pet trust. This is a trust designed to set aside assets for things like vet bills and pet food to ensure that your pet is still cared for in the event of your passing. Other documents you may wish to create include a will, various trusts, a power of attorney, an advance healthcare directive, and more. Consider your goals so that your estate planning attorney can help you achieve them.
What Documents Should I Bring?
When meeting with your attorney for the first time, you should consider bringing the following documents:
- Your financial statements (checking, savings, money market, brokerage, pension, IRA, etc.)
- Your most recent bank, investment, and retirement account statements
- The deed to your house
- Your previous estate planning documents, if you have any
- Prenuptial or postnuptial agreements
- Divorce agreements
- Business agreements.
- Copies of your retirement plan
- Copies of your life insurance policy
- Contact information of your doctors
- Contact information for family members
- An unofficial list of the people you may want to list as trustees, executors, health care agents, etc.
- A list of your estate planning goals
- A list of any questions you have for your estate planning attorney
If you have any questions or concerns about the estate planning process or how you can prepare for an initial consultation, reach out to our firm today.
Contact Our Firm
Zimmet Law Group, P.C. is an experienced team of attorneys guiding clients through matters of estate planning and administration, divorce and family law, real estate, commercial litigation, business law, bankruptcy, and landlord-tenant law. If you require the services of an effective New York City attorney, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.