As a result of the financial difficulties brought upon by the Coronavirus, President Trump signed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) into law. This is a $2 trillion stimulus package that provides assistance to people during this difficult time. The size of the check is determined by the government based on the adjusted gross income a person listed on their most recent tax returns. However, most adults can expect a one time payment of $1200 while couples can receive up to $2400. If parents have children under 17 at the end of the tax year, they can receive $500 per child. There can be a great deal of confusion and uncertainty regarding these matters for those going through a divorce, which is why it is important to continue reading below to learn more and contact an experienced New York divorce attorney for assistance. 

If I Have a Pending Divorce Case, Who Gets the Stimulus Check?

Those who are going through a divorce during this time may wonder how they will receive their stimulus check. It is important to know that stimulus checks for couples will go to the bank account that was last provided to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on their most recent tax return. In the event that the latest tax return was filed jointly with their spouse, the individual may need to retain the services of a divorce attorney for assistance recovering the part of the check that is theirs. 

How Can Child Custody or Support Affect the Stimulus Check?

Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, there are many people who are going through a change in their physical and financial circumstances. These matters can raise questions regarding where their stimulus check goes once it is received. The individual who filed as head of the household on the most recent tax return will receive the stimulus check for their family. If a couple filed jointly and their child is listed as a minor, or their custody arrangement experienced changes since the tax return was filed, it can be beneficial to retain a family law attorney for guidance with these situations. 

During this time, normal federal rules regarding child support are still in effect. This means that state child support agencies are required by law to report any payments that are past-due. If a parent is not keeping up with their child support payments, it is possible for their stimulus check to be intercepted by the state and given to the child’s custodial parent so that it can make up for their outstanding balance.

Contact our Firm

Zimmet Law Group, P.C. is an experienced team of attorneys guiding clients through matters of estate planning and administration, divorce and family law, real estate, commercial litigation, business law, bankruptcy, and landlord-tenant law. If you require the services of an effective New York City attorney, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.